Monday 17 November 2014

Welsh Adventure

I’ve slightly abandoned you for a while but that’s meant some riding to tell you about.

First up there was news from France that, thanks to lack of sponsorship, Didi the Devil, the iconic Tour de France supporter is due to retire.

I took a long weekend over a wedding to go for some riding in Wales. This was a chance to brave the rain and hit some trails I have been thinking about riding for a while. Suffice to say I got absolutely soaked both by the rain and the trails, which in places were little more than streams.

First up I rode the new trail at Glyncorrwg. The Blade seems to be basically an extension to the Whites Level route and adds a serious amount of climbing to the initial ramp. In the wet, with a deadline to be at a wedding rehearsal, it was a tough exposed climbed, made tougher by adding in the Black extension to Whites, just to give myself an extra climb. I found it brutal, but it may well ride better in the dry.


So, one new trail at a favourite centre down and more beckoned on Sunday when, with a wedding hangover, I arrived in Bike Park Wales in the rain. I was determined to ride through the wet and to experience the trails I had missed last time. This meant Sixtapod, the fast fun blue run and then a couple of trips down the red trails, including the new massive jump line of A470 which felt like it had loads of potential for an on-form rider the dry. I was neither, but enjoyed the rolling lines.


To finish a long weekend of riding I rode the famous classic Gap route on the Brecon Beacons. This is a genuine old-school mountain bike ride, with the highlight easing up and up along a valley side on rolling bedrock and loose boulders, and then plummeting back down over the top on rocky tracks that were freely flowing with water. With a couple of wet punctures from hedge clippings and a bit of muddy spray at every stage of the ride it was an excellent loop, with a real mountain feel. Well worth its status as a classic.


A

No comments:

Post a Comment