Tuesday 8 September 2015

Compatibility Problems

Evidently I am a little bored and entertaining myself by getting the bikes up to speed ready for when I’m allowed and able to ride again.

Compatibility across Shimano products had been my friend a week ago, but let me down this weekend as I discovered that my hope to simply swap in a new chainring to the hardtail was scuppered by a difference in bolt-hole placement between the worn out Deore Hollowtech ring coming off, and the Alivio Hollowtech II one I intended to put on.

Undeterred and with a slight wobble in the bottom bracket anyway I carried on, pulled the cranks and removed the bottom bracket. I find removing these parts of a bike strangely satisfying, especially when I reap the rewards of my previous sense. Last time I did this on this bike I’d had no end of trouble removing a seized bottom bracket, requiring serious leverage and bolts to remove it. When I fitted the new parts I’d been very diligent about greasing everything and it paid off this weekend as everything came off the bike beautifully.

The bike is ready for the new parts I ordered when they arrive and another bike ready to be ridden as soon as I am.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment