Tuesday 1 September 2015

Gearing Up

So there is a slight lack of news form my riding, given how I can’t get on a bike for a while through the risk of re-breaking my collarbone around the titanium plate. I’ve been entertaining myself in other ways with bikes.

For over five years the commuter bike has been a singlespeed, built around a DMR conversion and chain tensioner. I’ve loved riding it like this but it has suffered with a tendency to drop chains as they stretch with time. The chainstay length appeared to make it tricky to get the chain length right to take up slack beyond a short stretch. I’ve looked around for sprung tensioners to fix this with little luck. With the extended thinking time I decided to go in a different tack.

A quick bit of research on the internet confirmed my idea that Shimano kit, whether road or mountain bike, would work seamlessly together. A plan formed to fit a road cassette, giving more gears but a close ratio, with a neat short cage mech and to run it with a MTB shifter on the flat bars. More internet time and I had an Ultegra cassette, Sora Mech and Deore shifter on the way, along with a new chain.

My shoulder isn’t in a position yet to lift much or exert much pressure, so it was a bit of a gentle, careful wrenching session, which may actually be no bad thing. The bike went from this:

To this:

In a little over half an hour and with the help of the turbo to set up gears.

The set-up works perfectly together, even with my famously cack-handed setting of gears. I even successfully instantly found the cable guide for under the bottom bracket, which could have been irritating to lose in the parts box. The set-up flew together and ran smooth on the trainer. I can’t wait to get it out onto the roads.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment